Friday, February 4, 2011

Lesson 5 - Online Communication Tools

Online communication tools are a great way for individuals to interact with each other. In school districts teachers, staff, students, parents, etc. can utilize online communication tools to communicate and collaborate for various reasons.

There are numerous different types of online communication tools available, with only two types. The two types include Synchronous and Asynchronous. The Center for Association Leadership states that, “Synchronous online communication tools enable real-time communication and collaboration in a ‘same time-different place’ mode. Asynchronous online communication tools enable communication and collaboration over a period of time through a ‘different time-different place’ mode.” Examples of synchronous communication tools would include: audio conferencing, web conferencing, video conferencing, chat, instant messaging, white boarding, and application sharing. Examples of asynchronous communication tools include: discussion boards, web logs (blogs), messaging (email), streaming audio, streaming video, narrated slide shows, “learning objects” (web-based training), document libraries, databases, web books, shared calendars, and web site links.

One of the ways an online communication tool can be used within schools is by teachers sending email to communicate with parents regarding their children’s school work and to update the parents on the materials being covered in the current unit of study. Teachers and staff can interact with each other using this same method of communication to inform staff on upcoming events, etc. Students can even email their teachers about concerns regarding the material being covered in class if he/she was absent on a particular day.

I have used online communication tools in my classroom in the past and still continue to do so. I think it’s extremely important for students to learn young so that as they get older, they at least know the basics of how the tools work and can broaden their knowledge and become more advanced with the tools. As I previously mentioned, I have used email with my 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students to teach them the basics of how email functions. I have to say, they absolutely love it. During their “free time” on Fridays after completing their assignments, the majority of the students just want to send email back and forth to each other.

As I stated in my Lesson 1 blog, I still plan to teach the basics of blogs to my students. I am still working on my school’s webpage, and once it is complete I will develop a blog and assign the students to update it periodically on various topics. I will also add the URL to the blog on the school’s webpage in order for parents and other viewers of the site be able to view the information that the students are learning in the computer lab. I will have them write about a particular research topic and have them all contribute at some point. Once we successfully complete this assignment, I can let them create a wiki to post information on it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment